Staff / Training Days
Ideal for early years, schools, Community organisations and businesses
Whippersnappers are able to deliver bespoke disability awareness training to your settings. Course content can be selected and delivered over one hour or a half / full day to suit your setting’s needs.
The training can either be used as a taster for staff who have little or no awareness of disability or as a refresher course for capacity building within your team.
Examples of Disability Awareness Training Course modules:
• The social and medical model of disability and how this affects our understanding of disability in current society.
• Auditing your site/ setting and appropriate signage.
• Attitudinal Barriers and the use of appropriate language and behaviour.
• Building up a signing vocabulary which is relevant to your service user’s needs. Learning how to sign songs to use in your setting when working with children.
• Practical methods to help staff deal with challenging behaviour.
• Communication methods. How signing along with the spoken word can augment communication. How to use pictures, picture exchange, objects and visual timetables as a means of communication.
• Inclusive risk assessments and risk benefit assessments.
• Communication passports and how to incorporate them in your setting.
• Support in finding solutions regarding barriers to inclusion that are both service user specific and generic.
• Exploration of understanding a diagnosis,
• Inclusive timetables, activity sheets and practical application.
Please telephone Nancy at Whippersnappers to discuss your setting’s needs further on 0207 738 66 33 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)