Our Mission Statement
Whippersnappers aim to provide a diverse cultural platform from which children and adults of all ages, needs and backgrounds can express and educate themselves through music, sports and art.
Whippersnappers were founded in 1994 when Caroline Burghard a professional actress and mime artist teamed up with Kirk Service an established R&B and Reggae artist. For the past 20 years, the company has been based in The Brockwell Lido in Brockwell Park, Brixton and deliver London wide, nationally and internationally.
In 2011 Whippersnappers opened their second site College Lodge in Dulwich Park. They raised £250,000 to convert this old Park keepers Lodge into an “Inclusive Community Arts Centre.”
Whippersnappers began by providing Baby and Toddler music classes for the under-fives and in 1997 created their own style of music called “Pickny Beat”. Over the years they have diversified and now provide music, sport and art projects for people of all ages, needs and backgrounds. Whippersnappers are a vibrant multicultural company with over 30 staff working closely as a cohesive team. They are also proud to be a community Interest Company investing all their profits back into the company and being driven by their social aims and objectives.
Aims and Objectives
- To provide workshops and performances in music, dance, art, and theatre to schools, nurseries, one o’clock clubs and community organisations.
- To provide work experience, training and employment for teenagers, young people, people with special needs, lone parents, professionals, and individuals.
- To take people out of their urban environment and bring them to green open spaces where they can take part in indoor and outdoor activities.
- To provide social cohesion within the community through culturally diverse activities and theatrical productions.
- To enable and empower complementary community groups and activities by providing affordable community space for hire.
- To be committed to creating and producing new artistic work of the highest professional standard